Monday, September 10, 2012

Andrew Barker - ALCHEMICAL JARGON

"I am always brought back to the question of how and why I make things with my own hands.  I am intrigued by the reverie created when light reacts with chemicals (Grotthus Law 1817), and the simplicity of the method it represents.

Like the Philosophers Stone, it allows me to transform and preserve the ephemeral events of everyday life and the stories it evokes, which I want to tell and want to endure. I do this in a manner that I hope captures something of the antique pioneering enthusiasm on which the method was founded.  But there may be danger in the method. Is it possible to narrate stories in this form, and make them contemporary and abreast of the times? I hope so.

The works I have chosen for this show contain my daydreams and fanciful illusions of the possibilities of producing photographic images. For me, they are feelings, chemicals, condensations, in simple expressive forms. I hope these works raise questions of artistic intent and representation. Of place, pose or poetry, of taking or making, and of reading the silent metaphysical tone and not merely the things represented.

These chemical dreams, I call them." Andrew Barker

About the photographer: 
Andrew Barker has been practicing photography for twenty years and has been a practitioner and lay-scholar of 19th and early 20th century photography for the last fifteen years. In this regard, he predominantly uses cameras from this period - such as mammoth-plate 10x12 inch cameras (and smaller ones too). He also specializes in ways of processing that combine the methods used during these periods with more modern, contemporary ones. He has learned his skills through extensive research, and by experimentation and practice. 

Andrew has kept his work private for many years. Nevertheless recently he has begun to exhibit some of his work
.


Washing Line

 



No comments:

Post a Comment